Monday, May 2, 2011

Post for 01/05/2011...The dark side of Singapore!

Ok gang, we had really bad Internet connectivity in the hotel, it was $25 an hour, and I only had Rox's computer to work with, so I decided to wait till we got home...sorry!! Anyway, had a really nice 6 mile run planned for Sunday, and figures 6:00 in the morning is just the time that the 18 year old drinking age, shows why it is a bad idea. Singapore has a reputation, I think, as a country that is harsh on crime, death penalty for drug possession, $1000.00 fine for chewing gum. I guess you harass tourists and beat the crap out of each other at 6:00AM any time you want!! For the past month, I have not felt in fear of my life once, until Sunday morning, 6:00AM in front of the Hilton Hotel Singapore. I had to wait for my Garmin to get cranked up, the satellite has a tough time getting the GPS over here, so in the 5min or so I was quickly surrounded by leering, drunk teenagers, who I did my best to ignore until they went away, I guess they were looking for a fight, because they made there way across the street where the quickly got into one. (hearing non English speaking people, who are slurring their words to begin with, say "I will kick your ass motherfucker", is really funny!!") The streets were packed, in front of two bars that just happened to be across from our Hotel, with 18-20 somethings in varying states of intoxication...So I got running, and got out of there, the rest of the run was beautiful, it was cool, there was a light drizzle, and i found a route that wound its way up near the botanical gardens, I had small monkeys following me in the trees (kind of scary, but better than 20 drunk teens), it was quiet and peaceful, and most people I passed waved and said good morning! As I made my way back down to the street our hotel was on, the police presence was obvious, and It seems that the word had gotten out that world war three was getting going on Orchard street. So other than the bad beginning, it really was one of the nicer runs I have had, and I was able to let the watch go, find my pace and enjoy the trip...In the end I was able to maintain my regular pace in the 7:30's. It was a good run indeed!! Well loyal reader, today is a day off (Monday), so back at it, back in penang...until tomorrow....RUN HAPPY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment