Sunday, June 5, 2011

Rasa Sayang Beach/Road Race 05/06/2011.


So, I want to comment on a few things in this post, the first being the kindness shown to me by the runners here in Penang. I needed a ride this morning, and had no trouble getting a friend from one of the groups, James to give me a lift. Good conversation about our time here in Penang thus far, and the running competitions here in Malaysia. That kindness continued throughout the day, there were handshakes and congrats all around, and the group was celebrating anther's birthday...I was more than included, I was made to feel a part of, and can they celebrate and have a good time?? Yes, yes they can, and do, made for a really great day!

The next thing I want to cover is my running, today it was poor, poor pace management (although I expected a 6K as advertised, but got an 8K). I went out way to fast and then got intimidated when the race went longer than I expected, and I had nothing left for the last 800 meters on the sand. The sand was tough, I have run 1 beach race before, only a 5K and my pace suffered, but the sand was very different, in Clearwater, FL, it was had packed and had a shell base, here it was very loose and powdery, even down by the breakwater. so it was tough to run in! I just did not prepare well for today and got ate up by the beach, and not being properly prepared to pace at the correct distance. Ok so that's it with the complaining...bottom line is that I am losing a minuet off my overall pace. The last thing is my new Brooks T7's. I had the T6's before them, and other than initially not getting the correct size and dealing with blisters and blown out toes, I loved my T6's. The mid foot to forefoot transition is awesome, and I am a forefoot striker. The T7's, in my opinion are an upgrade for sure, i love the anatomical lacing, and although some have complained about the heel cup, I love the fit of the shoe overall, the toe box is roomy (as it was in the T6) the transition is still excellent, and with a race like today, with the sand, and the water, I found the the shoe still felt very light when it was wet (I stepped in the ocean quite a few times) and I did not have any problems with the sand rubbing along my ankles. I just love the performance of the shoe, and It looks really cool as well!! so the final abysmal reckoning...5.12 miles (8.24km) in 42:03:32...pace at 8.12 (5.06). Uggggg. Well loyal reader, I was not happy today, although I did run happy for most of the race...I will look forward to the day when I can get back to my normal pacing! Run Happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment