Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Long group run...bad plan!

Ok so I figured, I have been feeling blah for the last 3 days, stomach not doing well at all, not eating allot, drinking water as much as I can, just no energy at all, what is the best cure for all of that...a nice 9 mile run...I originally wanted to do 13 miles, but that was a real pop dream. The run started well, it was cool, and I ran at a good pace up to the youth park to meet the group. Well they were a bit late so I stood around for a little bit and cooled down, which had both and up and a downside. the upside was that ...I cooled down, the downside was that it gave my stomach just enough time to figure out that it had not driven me nuts for almost 8 hours. The next part of the run was also ok, adjusting my pace along the way to account for the distance, water reserves were good, and my stomach was at a mild discomfort level...nothing like it had been for the last 3 days. As I approached 6 miles and my turn to head back, I figured if I was able to do 12-13 this was good, and If I could only do 9 -10 still good. I got about 1/4 of a mile in after my turn and my stomach cramped big time, so I stopped, tried to breathe it out and found that it was ok...The next 1/4 it was not ok at all ,and the first of the purging had begun...better out than in at this point, I figured if I could clear my stomach, I might be able to finish the run at least. well over the next mile or so, my stomach got clear...by the time I hit 8 miles I was so done, lethargic and dehydrated. I stopped off at the 7-11 got a Gatorade, and was able to get one more mile in a top out at 9 miles...I was so happy to be done. I just wanted to crawl back into bed and sleep. Not a good way to end a run I would say! So the idea of using a long easy run to get the cobwebs off of a stomach virus, is not a good plan...I have played hockey to whip a fever, but nothing is good for a stomach bug, but rest. This i know now, thanks to my loving wife and my good friends from FLA who are much more knowledgeable than I (obviously) so any of you loyal readers that were thinking of taking a shot at the dummy in the singlet and short shorts, take number because this is going to get like the slap fest in the first "Airplane" movie...just form a line. I Ran Happy, my stomach ran VERY mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment