Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Progress.

So since I can no longer make this about my running, i will make it about my recovery.First off though a special congrats to all the friends I have and those I have yet to meet that are associated with the Penang I-Run group, on their first (for some) Triathlon...its a great feeling to accomplish a difficult task such as this, so a standing ovation to you all, you are Triathletes!! I have not been seriously injured as an athlete for well over 15 years (knee injury/ice hockey). It is very different having been so significantly envenomed by the running bug, to now be completely static...i mean even when I had days off I knew there would be a run the next day. At this point, my body does not know what to do...I feel like the puppy at the window, waiting for his owner to show up with the leash to go out. I am not sure how I am going to deal with 3 months of this. I am also praying every day that the surgery was done in enough time, to my hip and the femoral head is not necrotic. If that happens, the surgery was for nothing, and I will be off to Singapore for a full hip replacement...that will not be good.From everything I have read a full hip replacement means my running career is over, now at 40, that would be a total suck fest!! I am also itchy as hell, I think the anti biotic that they were giving me has dried out my skin, especially my scalp which is itchy as all get out!! Well I cant find my road ID either, I know I had it on during the ride, all I can think of is since the arm i wear it on is the same one that I broke my wrist, and the hospital pictures don't include it...I am thinking the EMS guys cut it off, really glad I had it though, this is one of those times that make an investment in a road ID totally worth it!! So, recovery stuff, I took a shower on my own this AM, and yesterday I was able to do some standing knee flexion like 10 times, will do the same thing today. I also continue to do my seated knee flexion, at least 10 -20 times. I cannot as of yest do any adduction or abduction of my hip, and there is allot of swelling, posterior to the hip joint, its not as bad as it was, but very noticeable...I imagine it will go down in time. My wrist feels ok, although that is not preventing me from running, and my head injury is healing, but there is still a nice knot underneath it. Yesterday I looked up, got some advice on and sent some emails to, some local sports rehab places, the best being the one at Island hospital, at least according to the friends I have in the running and cycling groups, so when I can, I will check in there and begin my road back.
So I think that is it for today, I am living each day in the positive as best as I can...heck it cant get any worse...unless the head of the femur is necrotic...that would qualify as worse. Run Happy loyal reader, and do so for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment