Sunday, August 28, 2011

Its been a week...not much happening.

Well it has been a week (5 days) or so since I last blogged...That one was about the I-Run anniversary dinner. Since then the group has had a race this weekend and been talking about everything from Ironman to Marathon...gets me psyched for when i do come back! I just found out that the town where I went to school East Stroudsburg has both an Ironman and a marathon...It would be fun to go back there for either one, and with me being able to run some hills here...I should be ok!! Wrist is finally done getting infected and all the wires are out, i go in Monday for another check up and should be able to begin rehabbing it then, awesomeness!! So I saw a question on the Brooks Fanatics page about barefoot running, minimalist running. I have for some time now trained in a neutral shoe, the Brooks Launch is not a minimalist shoe by any stretch. I do race in the T7 which is a running flat, so still not really minimalist. I have to admit though, and this is so hard to say (Forgive me!!) I have mixed a Saucony Kinvara into my runs and although I would not classify it is a true minimalist shoe (The Saucony Hattori)it is more minimalist than the launch is. Ok so why all of this about shoes and such, well the question from the brooks site got me thinking, "how do i feel about the minimalist/barefoot trend". Not that anyone really cares what i think but its my blog so (middle finger). I think that for some with a tru neutral gait or who are willing to learn, its great! For those that have been wearing a "corrective" shoe, pronation control, etc, I think it could be really bad. I mean muscle structure changes dramatically over years of being "corrected" and i would think that to an extent bone structure would change as well. With a FLOOD of minimalist shoes hitting the market, i mean EVERY manufacturer has one (Thank you Brooks for the "Pure Project" shoes...I can retire my Saucony's and no longer be committing a sin... "Thou shall have no false shoes before Brooks") It may become such a marketing push that EVERYONE might give a minimalist shoe a shot, when in my opinion i don't think minimalist shoes are for every runner..yes, the human body will adapt..bla..bla..bla...i get it. For some though, i think that adaptation might take an extreme time period if at all...I know that all the literature expresses caution, but when do we exercise caution, especially when "big brother" tells us to?? Look if this is really a "Revolution" of epic proportions, why are Newton shoes still $250 a pop?? Why don't the big shoe manufacturers discontinue the "motion control" lines? For me the jury is still out on this, i mean if you do the "Vibram five fingers" for your next road marathon, fine, great...I am happy for you. For me,I have to remember that when I was a kid my mom took me to "Striderite" and i got measured 4  way till Sunday...That Kenyan kid, running across the plains in his bare feet ... he didn't. For now, i will stick with my Brooks Launch (when i can run again). I will try out my Pure Project shoes when i get them. I have a pair of Green silences at home waiting for me to bring back also...That's as far as i will go, which is pretty far i guess, i have always had a neutral gait though, even with my right tibial twist. Well that's my opinion, based on some of what i have read, and heard...I'm sure i am missing some facts, but fact and opinion don't always go together...just ask Michael Moore. Loyal reader, Run Happy (yes even in bare feet..i ain't hatein!).

No comments:

Post a Comment