Friday, September 9, 2011

Rehab and Time

Well its been a while since I blogged on here so i figured it was time for an update. I am cast and wire free on my wrist, and I have started to rehab it, which has been difficult (harder than I thought). The wrist is stuck in flexion so I constantly look like i am trying to do a shadow puppet of a duck. all or my extensors and flexors of my forearm are VERY tight, actually every muscle system in my whole right arm is tight..it hurts to raise my arm, hurts to extend at the elbow. It hurts to do just about anything with my right arm, I push through it as best as i can and it is progressing slowly. The hip is still not ready for weight yet, and no rehab or anything on it till i go to the doctor in another week, I think he will do a bone scan then to determine the health of the femoral head, and the healing process over all. I will know if I can begin to rehab the hip after that. Things are moving forward, slowly but forward!! Well I finally had a chance to download the data from my Garmin 405 from the day of the accident..I can tell you that heart rate and elevation gets a bit wonky at the end of the ride. This got me thinking, Garmin, Polar, Timex or no watch at all...Hummm...Well I began running with your standard Timex Ironman, no bells and whistles, just a lap counter and stopwatch. With my Timex I could go on to a site like Mapmyrun.com and plug in my route, measure distance, then time the distance out...worked great! Then my inner "gearhead" took over and I saw the Polar RS300X...ala Homer Simpson "Polar..gurgle gurgle"...so that was my new toy and the Timex became, well just a watch. I bought the foot pod for the polar, and would use it indoors, while using the armband GPS sensor outdoors, and heart rate monitor all the time...This thing was great time, distance, heart rate, pace, calories burned...it was an invaluable piece of my running equipment...I mean like right up there with shoes!! Then I started to hear at races and from running friends that the Garmin HRM's did not have the external GPS sensors that the polar had, it was all self contained....Oh my god!! In my mind, someone had reinvented the wheel and done it BETTER!! So I went on a search for the best Garmin, checking websites and blogs (just like I did for the polar) and decided on the 305...from the reviews it seemed like everyone loved there 305, even though it was like having a desktop computer on your wrist! Well, despite its size, and I have chicken arms, I LOVE my 305! It does struggle from time to time with Satellites, and the GPS signal in city settings can cut out, my polar used to do that too! The computer interface for it is awesome as well. My only real complaint about it, is that after a while the "dock" that it sits in to upload data does not make great contact with the watch and you have to update a few times to get it to work. I love the flexibility of its interface, you can set it up to monitor quite a few things and display them on the watch face, I keep pace, distance, heart rate and time on mine, but you can put elevation, heart rate % (I think). Now for as great as my "training computers" are...I don't think there is anything better than going out for a run without my trusted 305...It has taken me some time to get to that place, where i can leave it t home, i feel a little like I did the first time we left Brenna with the sitter...well not really but you get the gist of it, right. Anyway, with watch or without watch I am still months away from that glorious feeling of a good morning run..Hey, i have been married for 10 years, you get you glorious morning feelings where you can, if you know what i'm sayin!! Well Loyal reader, i had such high hopes for this blog, but as with me it will come back stronger than ever (I hope). Run Happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment