Thursday, August 18, 2011

One month from my accident....Time for contemplation...

So things are going well with my healing process, except for the fact that my hand looks like a boxing glove...its pretty swollen. I have good movement in my hip, although my right calf is still really sore!! So Its the one month anniversary of my accident and surgery (yesterday for the accident 17th). Since that time, things have not been easy, I am not one to sit around and do nothing, so I have tried to stay as active as possible...Sooooo, I have attended a 54 year old 8K race, Went to the Penang Butterfly Farm, Got to see how they make "Hungry Ghost" effigies, and "Backstage" at one of the Hungry Ghost operas. All that has little to do with running...what it does have to do with is the fact that i began this blog to document my adventure in this new and wondrous place, Penang. This experience has become part of that adventure! I cannot overlook the fact that I am VERY lucky that I can do all those things with my family and friends, crutches and pain (sometimes) aside! This leads me to the contemplation part of this for me...I have been very blessed to have a wonderful family, Roxanne is my Rock, Brenna is everything a parent could want and they have both been beside me all the way....I know that support has meant everything. Here is the best part though...a group of people that 4 months ago I did not know...saved my life..I mean no drama, they saved me!! For them to ride back over 10 miles, after completing the ride, just to make sure I was ok. Staying with me till the ambulance came and then going with me to the hospital (I think). That would have been enough for any friend, but not for them, they visited me every day they could, brought me flowers, Lunch, snacks for Brenna, and piece of mind for Roxanne. It went beyond the pure nature of friend, and passed into a realm that could be...well...family. I feel like family with this group of people, and to be honest Roxanne and Brenna do to. Roxanne is really excited to be at the dinner that this group will host on Friday, and I am as well. Just so you know it did not stop at the hospital either, they have visited us at home, brought us cake (Awesome!), movies, helped us shop, brought my bike back to me. I have said thank you many times and some day I will have a chance to repay the kindness fully. These are all people I am honored to call friend, and proud to be a member of their running family. On this day of contemplation I remember a kindness bestowed upon me...a kindness I will never forget. This blog is about running, and here in this place I have found a group of runners that have given me much more than someone to pace off of on a long run...they looked out for me in my most desperate hour...they are family...isn't that what we all should be to each other in some small way...Thanks I-run and to Chun, Eric, Kelvin, Mei Ling, Francis,James, Andrew,Thuan...I know I am missing a ton who visited and were there after I crashed....To all of you...There is an old Irish blessing for friends that ends with this "...For luck and laughter too, and a host of friends that never ends, each day your whole life through!". Thank you for gifts that are priceless!! Run Happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment