Monday, August 8, 2011

54th Penang Chung Ling 8km Cross Country Run 2011...post race

So how awesome is it that there is a cross country race here in Penang, exclusive to those of Chinese descendant, that has been taking place for 54 years!! I thought it was great, and was honored when I was invited to attend, and disappointed but understanding when I was excluded...I mean we often get to honor our cultures through holidays or other social events, but how often do you get to do that through a competitive athletic endeavour...not often. I arrived via cab, as I wanted to give rox some time to rest. Other than slipping on a dead bird and almost falling on my crutches, my arrival was uneventful. The I-Run group was there in force, i mean everywhere there were yellow and red I-Run shirts. I met up with my friends and had some time for a quick hello before we walked to the start line.


They were off, I took some finish line photos of everyone i knew, but missed some others, not easy to get into that great finish line photo position on crutches, i will have you know! I did get quite a few of the group as they finished though. I have to say that this is a great group of people, There are also some really good runners. both the men's and the woman's grouping were very competitive, but the I-run ladies ruled the day placing...I want to say 3 or 4 out of the top 5 finishers, including 1st place. Well done ladies, on the men's side due to the highly competitive field we had one that I am sure of make the podium. A great race by everyone though! The day itself was memorable for me, not just the hospitality and the friendship, the food was awesome, despite some ultra weird expression i have in one photo while I was eating. I got to see some friends i had not seen in some time, i also got to meet some of the group members i have not before. I was also officially inducted with my brand new I-run racing singlet...LOVE IT!! I just need to get well and wear it in a race...hell i may just have to wear it in December in a race back in the states when we go home...if I am ready.  So the race itself was broken into two groups, one was the public and the other the student body of the high school, that was very cool, so there were two starts...I love tradition, especially tradition that incorporates sport and wellness!! So this is what the Doctor ordered for sure...i needed some time out of the house, and what better way to spend that time if not with Family, with good friends enjoying their enthusiasm over an interest and a lifestyle you share..I cant think of one! Ok for the Brooks Fanatics side...You all need to know that Brooks is IT in Asia, at least in this corner, I saw Brooks shoes on the majority of feet, and some color variations and styles I have not seen before, but the usual suspects were there, Launch, Ghost, Adrenaline, Glycerine, even saw some T7's, ST5's and green silences. The apparel was there as well, HVAC synergy shorts...The works...Brooks has always been the best brand, we know that...guess the rest of the world does too...the I-Run Penang group did the brand proud Fanatics...we may want to think about getting a fanatics group started here...food for though!! now for pictures!!












No comments:

Post a Comment