Tuesday, April 15, 2014

It all began at Youth Park...


When I arrived, I don't think I ever expected to feel like Penang was home, as much as I do now. It will be bittersweet when August arrives and we are on that plane back to the states for good. I have some time on my hands now, with my invalid status and only the gym to keep me company (well, not this week as both Roxanne and Brenna are home). I have decided that I will spend a few posts over the next 2 months looking back at my time here in Penang, the wonderful people I have had the pleasure to meet and get to know and the events I have been privileged to participate in.
I can very clearly remember signing up for the Penang Bridge Half marathon in the first week we were here. a trip to Queensbay mall, resulted in seeing the Marathon kiosk and grabbing an application. I also remember finding the I-Run penang group, online. i also remember asking questions and finding where and when the group met for runs, i think Andrew Loh was the first person i talked to online (it could have been Chun How Lee....not sure, please forgive an old mans poor memory). I did join some group runs early on and felt very welcomed by the running community here. The first real running friend that I can remember meeting at and doing a race with was Thuan Lin Goh. The event was the ASPCA 10k held at Penang Youth park on 26, May 2011, I was terrified of the heat, and what it would do to my race ability. I had also spent limited time in this area of Penang prior to this race...I was also really excited! I ran pretty well, It was indeed hot and humid, but amazing to be running a race in a place that was so far from home. The one thing i can say id that despite the distance from home, the act of running in a race felt so familiar to me that I just leaned on that familiarity. Thuan gave me some pointers ahead of time as well, so i was ready. I ran the 10k in 46:50 which was not bad for me and I found myself in the top 10 in the Veteran Category...not a bad start.


I can tell you that the people i met that night have become some of the closest friends i have in my life right now. what a beginning this was to what would be my lives greatest adventure!
I will continue to rewind the clock and look back at some of my adventures here in Penang and this part of the planet. Loyal reader, i hope you will join me as I look back.
Run Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment