Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bad news...

Well the visit to doctor was not good...I found out that my pain was due to necrosis of the femoral head of my right hip. I have been given two options:

1. A procedure called a core decompression, where the internal portion of the femur is drilled out allowing the re-establishment of blood vessels to that area. The assumption is that the return of vascularization to the head of the femur did not take place following the repair back in 2011 following the accident. The procedure often involves a bone graft, the grafting can be done two ways, with a vascular graft taken from the Fibula which re-establishes its own blood supply to the femur. This is a complicated surgery and is not done often. The second option is a non-vascularized graft, normally taken from the iliac crest of the pelvis (that is where mine came from). The last part that does not seem to be a normal part of procedure protocol in the US is the inclusion of Stem Cell therapy. The hope is that the re-vascularization of the femoral head will discontinue the necrosis and in a perfect world, reverse it. 

2. A full hip replacement. I didn't like (and did not choose) this option. it astounds me, that the technology in hip replacement is so "dark ages" We continue to use non compatible materials which wear over time and do not allow a hip replacement recipient to engage in high levels of impact related activity. With new plastic and fiberglass technology, I wonder why it has not been used to improve this particular procedure. It has however gained some progress as it had always been done with a lateral insertion in the quadriceps, new procedures involve an anterior  insertion, which cuts the recovery time in half (based on internet data and reports). I also discovered that many people continue to run following a replacement, they give up durability of the replacement, for enjoyment of the activity they love (that would be my position as well).

I picked choice #1, quality health care that is affordable, makes taking a chance on a long shot procedure possible.  So, on February 12 I go under the knife again, with a further 3 months on crutches....I was really hoping for one more run here in Penang, with the friends i have met here, as a way of saying goodbye...that hope may be lost, which saddens me...I will continue to hang onto the possibility, and the larger picture of avoiding a replacement hip. 
Thanks loyal reader, Run Happy...for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment