Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A look back: post surgery, "this, that and a terrible 15k"

Well as we get closer to our Penang exit date, I am continuing to review a few milestones in my running adventure here in Malaysia. After 7 months of recovery from my broken hip and wrist, I got back on the road starting in February of 2012. With a few local races (under 10k)under my belt, I jumped on an Air Asia flight to Kuala Lumpur. This would be my first time traveling alone to an event since we arrived here in Malaysia in March of 2011. I went on the cheap and booked a B&B that was as close as I could get to the Malaysian F1 track. Sepang International Circuit was the site for this 15K/Marathon. I got a chance to meet up with some folks from Penang when I got to the race, also checked out the Brooks booth and met some of the local Brooks guys. I did not however check out the course pre-race, but figured, "how bad could it be?" I got my answer when I hit the first of 3 steep inclines. Having only been back running for 2 months I was in no way ready for the hills or the combination of hills and heat. My breathing was really poor, I got winded quick. By the time I finally hit the track itself, I was about done and my legs were sore and screaming. I finished the race and although it felt good to get a distance longer than 10k under my belt, it was awful!


The good thing about this was not to be able to say "I'm Back" other than I am back from sitting on my ass to being able to finish a 15K. It was about putting out of my mind that a distance longer than 10k was going to be out of the question on this hip. The confidence was good as there were some big races coming up I did not want to miss, and I could begin to tailor my training to get the maximum benefit out of the training runs I would be doing. To sum up, my newly repaired hip did well and I was happy to be able to chalk up a new running experience. I have never flown to a race before and never stayed anywhere without my family prior to a race. That is what has made this experience in Penang such a blessing. When I started running back in 2009, I did not think it would ever be something like what it has become. I figured it would be a nice hobby, something that would keep me in shape and keep my competitive mind satisfied. Never did i think i would be running in exotic locals, have to chance to meet and befriend the wonderful folks i have. So I hope you continue with me down memory lane loyal reader, the best is still to come! Run Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment