Sunday, April 29, 2012

Larian Perpaduan 29/04/2012

That is one damn GOOD LOOKIN' group!!


Another Sunday and another race...there is no better way to spend a Sunday morning in my opinion. This was a tough week as this was the first week in my Hansons training that included both speed work and a tempo run, as well as a significant mileage increase. The week ends with 30 miles in the books...I did short some of the training runs, mostly due to soreness in my hip flexors, but still a decent amount of mileage. Anyway, back to the race, This was another smaller race held at one of the local schools, Westlands. nice venue, good race course, well run event. the only problem, if you can even call it that, is that the race was sold as a 6.5KM race, I had it clocked at 7.1KM. .6KM is not a big deal....My intention was to try and stay at around 8.00/mile and I timed out at 8:04...the heat was a problem today as the race did not go off till almost 8:00am and that is not good...it had also rained overnight so it was a bit steamy. I always have to remember that my pace will suffer due to the heat index here, the local runners are more used to it than i am, but it effects everyone the same. The I-run folks again figured into the top runner spots, with quite a few of the men and women ending up in the top 30, including Choo Gim Chuan,
L-R: Me, Mei Ling (warrior pose)Choo Gim Chuan, Jerry Koo?,??
The group!

w/ Ding Ding Heng

w/ Mei Ling

Ding Ding Heng, Jorene Lim, and Hoay Jen...
if there are others, I am sorry I missed you. As for the trophy and medal winners in their respective divisions. Woman Open 6th Place: Lay Hooi Ch'ng, 2nd place:Lay Khim Ch'ng. Men Open 6th Place:Wong Jin Ji. Men Veteran Champion: Goo Neoh and Woman Veteran 3rd Place: Chung Mei Ling. Oh the other thing about this race, that was somewhat problematic...I hate to complain but there was no JR veteran division...not that I would have placed any higher if there was...I did not run for placing, more to achieve a time goal...its just nice to see how you do against your peers. for me its a push to get better and train smarter. This race was a good measurement for my progress as it was the same distance as the Malakoff run on March 25th...so figure in a months time I was able to cut 30 seconds off my overall time and move an 8:17 pace down to an 8:04 pace...and the Malakoff run was a bit shorter...only 1/10th of a mile. I also has some pretty fast pacers for Malakoff. All things considered its an improvement...I cant wait to run a race at a significant distance at my old 7:20/mile pace...and the way things are progressing now, that should be around the time of the 1/2 marathon in Australia (July 2012). Another great thing about these Sunday races, is the food afterwards...As I accompany the group, its always something local, usually a place I have never been, and the food and company is always outstanding. today was no different as I had the pleasure of going to one of the best Char Koay places in Penang!



Great food, great company!
Another well spent Sunday, what more could an old guy ask for! Loyal reader, RuN HaPpY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment