Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Tri-Factor 10K, Singapore.

So the Tri-Factor 10k was supposed to be my opportunity to see if I could manage consistent speed over a longer distance than 3 miles. Having learned my lesson from SCKL I booked a closer hotel, paid a bit more, but always will for a sense of convenience. I picked a good one, staying at the Conrad Centennial, which was within walking distance of the venue, and surrounded by restaurants and shopping, not as much for the whole shopping thing, but i am a fairly picky eater especially pre race meals...I have my routine and I am obsessive about maintaining it...what?? oh so you don't have a routine?? what athlete is not superstitious...Anyway...The race was held at the F1 pit row, which was pretty cool, since i am a closet F1 fan, and seeing all the names on the pit bays, Fernando Alonso, Lewis Hamilton, Kimi Raikkonen...cool!

The race itself offered a 31k, 21k, 10k,5k and a fun run for the kids. I was not in the mood for another 21k or longer and with Australia looming...figured it would be best to test the legs and see what I could manage. 10k started at 7:30am, so I was worried about the heat, Singapore can be brutal for heat and humidity. Thankfully it was raining early and there was a breeze also, so it was a bit cool (for Singapore). Hold up, back it up a bit...Pre race I met up with two of Roxanne's colleagues at Robertson Quay, again lots of restaurants, bars and shopping. Good conversation, a nice late dinner, and a cab ride back to the hotel and in bed at a decent hour...all good. Mark (Roxanne's colleague) would be running with me in the AM also. Ok back to the race...So I got there at around 5:30, bag checked, and really felt good. No Mark though so I would be going solo, I'm ok with that...my focus is better that way, no offense. The turnout for the 10k was light, but still around 300 maybe. I started trying to keep my pace at an 8:00/mile...I kept wanting to push it though...7:15, 7:30...so i figured, let my body decide...I tried to keep it at about 7:45...Then the old mindset came back...seeing someone in front of me and then hunting them down...having someone pass me, and wanting to catch them...It was fun having that back and having the ability to do it. It was a good race, nice course, some good inclines, nice views, nicely laid out, and a single loop. i really forgot how much I love the 10k! I also again found myself within that community that is runners...I have always stopped and moved to the side at water stations...I cannot seem to run and drink from a cup, so i take a few seconds, get a quick drink, dump the rest over my head and then take off...a good number of people would pass me and say "don't stop" to with i would reply "I'm coming, don't worry."...love it!! I found myself wanting to pass people and say "TaDa!" which is something my running buddies and i would do back in the states...only with each other though...it would come off as obnoxious with strangers...cannot. So as i round that last turn, sprint the corral and cross the finish at 47:08 by my watch a 7:43/mile pace. I am happy with that, very happy to be honest, as my fastest 10k time is a 43:00 and that was pacing with an elite triathlete (Marc Dannis), before that it was 46 something...


So I wanted to hit a 46...missed it by a minuet...was well under the 50 i thought I would do, and really found some of that missing confidence. All things considered it was a great race, got some help with photos, thanks to those that were willing to help a stranger with some pictures.




So the next race on the docket is the Peace run in Penang, a small 6k on the 16th that should be a good warm up for The Hunter Valley 1/2 marathon in Australia on the 21st. Before that though I will have to blog about July 17th...That is the anniversary of my my accident...I cannot believe how far i have come...its amazing what you can accomplish with the help and support of Family and Friends...Loyal reader, thank you for your support! Run Happy...Mahalo!



No comments:

Post a Comment