Sunday, October 28, 2012

The North Face Singapore 25k, 13 October 2013.














Well I have to say one thing about this race, going in i knew i was not ready, I had no idea though what I was not ready for...In other words, although I could see a copy of the race course, i had never been to the MacRichie area of Singapore, so I really had no idea of the terrain. So easy flight, nice hotel, not far from the race venue, easy packet pickup, at The North Face store in Marina Bay Shopping center. I had some time to wander too, so i did...I enjoy Singapore because it is so easy to get around, The MRT rocks and there is a mall to wander around everywhere...its just EXPENSIVE!! I was also able to negotiate a ride in the transport bus from the hotel to the race, the only problem (if you could call it that) was the trip back. So the morning of the 13th dawned early, but not too early which made me a bit nervous to begin with, Singapore is generally hotter than Penang, and at 8:00am its going to be brutal. I thought that under the tree cover it would be cool...I would discover later, i was wrong. The van from the hotel was 1/2 hour late, so i was already stressing. Got to the venue no problem. Got checked in, got some hydration, and some Heed, and by the time I got in a bit of a warm up...it was time to go. So the course begins on pavement, and then it passes over the concrete walkways of the park, and then you are on the trail, and with the amount of rain that had happened in the last few days, it was pretty rough, muddy and slippery, however it was also beautiful...a really really nice course...sorta made you forget you were in Singapore, which is a really hustle bustle city. I found I was doing ok through the first 6-7 miles, I would stop at the hydration stations, and try and take the uphills slow...There was a tough downhill right around 6 miles and I felt something pop on that and after that I had some trouble...It was run a 1/2 mile, walk another 1/4...Then the stomach cramps began at around 8 miles, those passed. What did not pass was this weird dizziness...I was only dizzy when my heart rate came up...so I'm not sure if it was dehydration, salt deficiency or just my body being weird...anyway, that, did not pass and no matter what I did, it did not pass...so that is something i need to look out for, because it happened to me during another race...half marathon...I'm going to try some salt pills and see what happens. The final thing that was crappy was that I really did not spend enough time wearing the hydration vest. i have always had problems with my right shoulder complex, and the weight of the pack, although minimal, really did a number on my right shoulder and neck, to the point where at around 12 miles, i had to take it off...So needless to say this was not one of my best efforts...I think the course intimidated me a bit, i was on unfamiliar ground (I had only done one other trail run before this and it was a 5k), and I really did not prepare well for what this race was, which was TOUGH. I know its only 25k and that does not sound like much, but in the heat and over uneven terrain, uphill downhill most of the way...It was not easy. So I finished in just above 3:15 hours...my watch said 3:16...the race timing had me at 3:27...i think...not sure why that is as it did not take me 15 min to get to the start... I finished though and that is an accomplishment for me, especially when a year ago I was still not able to run, and had just started weight bearing. So my North Face experience is over and i am thankful for it. I would not do this race again. not because it was poorly run, it was very well run, not because of anything other than i just did not enjoy it... Trail running is not a strength. Well next is a holiday in Cambodia and some much needed rest...i am feeling tired and run down, so it might be just what I need...Next on the running calender, the Rock to Rock 10k...should be fun! Run happy loyal reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment