Thursday, October 11, 2012

KRI Annual Road Race, Ipoh Malaysia.


I was really looking forward to this race as my recent races had been longer distances, and it was nice to have a little 10k to break it up a bit. The race included a 1/2 marathon (solo) and a 1/2 marathon coed relay...I was really missing my beautiful athletic wife as I would have loved to do the relay...could not seem to find a partner, I know Rox would have run with me. Anyway, This was fun...its not often as an adult you can re-create old memories and re-live a bit of the past. I remember college hockey road trips and how much fun it was...stuffing way to many people into the car, local food and being with your friends (missing your wife and daughter was never a part of the history, but things change as we all know...) Trip was fun, a bit cramped...Hotel was nice, newer and simple, but nice. Ipoh is very nice, has a small town feel.














 
 
 
 
The food was amazing...I have never eaten grilled pig intestine before...its pretty good (Andrew Zimmern aint got nothing on this guy). The small expo at the race site/hotel, was not too bad...My friend Karen Geh had her shop as a sponsor "My Triathlon Shop", there was also Soleus Watches, a fuel additive company (bit of an odd sponsor, especially when this idiot almost drank the stuff thinking it was a human energy drink...duh!!) few other health and wellness/running gear dealers and of course Brooks Malaysia, who was one of the title sponsors of the event...so cool to see that "Run Happy" logo halfway around the world!!














Thankfully this was a later morning race again, which meant that i could get some sleep. So the day dawned warm and a bit wet, not too bad though. The I-run group as well as other Penang running groups had runners involved in both the 10k, 1/2 marathon solo, and the relay, so there was plenty to watch. got to see the half marathoners go and then had about another 20min or so before the 10k went...I started way too fast, I was able to dial back, but I felt good so i kept up the speed to long and cramped up at about 8k or so.

Finished in 48:10 by my watch, official time was 48:55...i think...not sure what the 1min difference was...might have been the time in the Que...not sure. I was disappointed, i would like to improve with every effort and this was a step back. I was hoping for top 20 in division, got 21st...also hoping for top 50 overall got 63rd...well there is always the next race. The groups and individuals from Penang did really well, many placings and trophy's...I have to say this though, just because I am generally sarcastic and if placed in a position where i feel like it, i can be downright obnoxious...So for you, person who I complimented on running a great race...I realize that a relay is a team effort, I am not an idiot (except when it comes to automotive fuel additives). In fact Relay is a noun, middle English in origin, with its original meaning "set of fresh hounds" as in from the hunt. It derives from the word "relayen". I am not sure what your problem is exactly, most people when complimented say "thank you"...i guess for you that's too much trouble, I thought you to be a friend...i guess i was mistaken...so in the future I will say nothing, your loss.
Ok now that that is out of the way...It really was a great time and I met some new friends. Overall it was a memorable experience and that is really why I truly am enjoying this Malaysian experience. I will never forget these times, and although I express disappointment about timing and such, that is the competitive me, and that will always be a part of it. The bigger part is the experience and the memory, the balance that is achieved in memories you hold dear with your family and with your friends. Thanks loyal reader, "Run Happy!"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment