Saturday, September 22, 2012

Its not easy being..... sore!

So gang, its been another daunting week, 30 miles in the books already. Missed today because of some early morning rain...

This leads me to another topic, running in the wet stuff. there are 3 reasons why I don't run in the rain, oh I know, if I was a die hard runner I would run in whatever condition presented itself, hear me out though as I think my logic is sound. The first reason I don't, is because I cannot stand being soaked. I sweat so much, that after a run in non rainy conditions i look like I just took a swim, I don't need the rain pitching into the party. I hate my shoes and socks being overly wet, and I train in thicker socks than I race in...I just find it uncomfortable. The second reason is that the conditions are unpredictable, ever get stuck in hail?? i have...lightning really scares the crap out of me, and the downpour is difficult to see in, especially for someone with contact lenses. the unpredictability also cycles to the rest of those around you, traffic gets crazier in the rain, and with the close calls I have had in dry conditions...I tend to stay away from the rain. The third reason is that, i tend to run hot, in terms of body temp and heart rate. being wet, means cooling quicker, which overall would be a good thing, especially as hot as it gets here. However cooling like that for me means the possibility of a system compromise, i don't often get sick, but running does lower your immune system to begin with, so I tend to try and warm as slowly as i can and cool down just as slowly. bottom line is...If I can avoid it...i don't run in the rain.

Ok so, up to 30 miles so far...bla bla bla...I plan to do 10 tomorrow and at this point i am frustrated that I am dealing with constant soreness, in fact i am never not sore. Weekly massage and consistent cold therapy on my hip flexors, glutes and QL, keeps me on the road, but really affects my motivation sometimes. So when I think about doubling my weekly mileage in an effort to effectively train for a marathon, running one anywhere in the near future seems really unlikely...just being honest.

On a more positive note, i was thinking that my very first run on February 2 was a 2.08 mile run that i did in 34:00, since that day I have logged almost 850 miles total, I have run 3, 1/2 marathons, a 16.8k, 15k a few 10k's, and some smaller distances...I have only had one DNS (did not start) which is a disappointment still. I am proud of my progress and feel as though I am way ahead in my recovery. I just don't see the kind of training it takes to do a Full Marathon, in my near future. I am proud of the friends I have, who have accomplished Triathlons, 100km Ultras and numerous marathons. I just know in my heart that if July 17, 2011 never took place, It might be me...I think the old me could have run a marathon already and done an ultra, and maybe been there for a Triathlon....This is the post July 11th me and I am ok with that guy...he is still a runner and getting better all the time.

However, I do still plan to run the MDI marathon in Maine...probably in 2014...I will not crush any time goals, i will finish though...and for now that goal is good enough for me.

So I will do my 10 miles tomorrow, I will hurt before and after, I will walk around with Ice packs on my right leg, and I will be happy that I can still run....its not easy being sore though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment