Monday, September 10, 2012

Adidas King Of The Road 16.8K.



Ok, so let me start off by saying that Adidas puts on a good show, for sure...are you listening Nike??
This event was held at Sunway Pyramid in Subang, just outside of KL proper (I think). So I decided to stay right at the Sunway resort, which I have to say is pretty damn nice...big mall just a short walk from the hotel lobby, perfect for the walking boredom.


There was a huge international ice hockey tourney going on on the half sheet of ice that is located inside the mall...karma baby!!


Lastly the race bib collection was in the mall and the venue was just outside the hotel, so I did not have to deal with the expense that is a taxi in KL...just a short walk.


Onto the race itself...I finally got a good nights sleep before a race. the fact that this race started at 6:45am was a double edged sword. It meant that for part of my run  the sun would be up full and it would be hot, however it also meant I could sleep a bit and not have to get up at an ungodly hour. Packet collection was a breeze, baggage turn in was equally easy. The race venue was easy to access, and there were plenty of folks in yellow t's to help out if you needed it. The corralling system was good as well with the 16K runners lining up in front of the 10K, not the 10K runners waiting on the sidelines, making it difficult to access the corral...I decided to get close to the front, not at the front but close, this was a good strategy as there were ALOT of people. It was not hard to navigate the initial surge and in a few minuets I could hit my start pace, this time I did not want to go out too fast, that was my mistake in the last 1/2 marathon. This was a nice course, out and back on a well maintained highway, some inclines and declines made it interesting and challenging, not much to see along the course, but not boring either. Had a chance to run with another gentleman for a time, i met him at the start corral...his name was JT (I think, I am so bad with names). did not talk much, that is a absolute "no no" especially in a race, but he was a good pacer for 2 of the last 3 miles...I had to back off for the last mile, just to conserve a bit for the finish.
Thanks to "Best of Running" for the photo (please "like" on FB)

I did have to walk 2wice, which sucks, it was not for very long, but If I could have run through that bit of pain and cramping i might have managed a better time, it is what it is though.I wanted to stay at about 8:30/mile pacing which is about a minuet off of my pre accident pacing but with the temperature, humidity and my continued recovery I was more than happy finishing right around 8:28/mile average, no negative split though which is really the goal...

Thanks to "Best of Running" for the photo (please "like" on FB)

The graph for my pacing is very telling...the first 7 miles, consistent with minor deviations...then its all over the place...so that is the work that needs to be done before Penang bridge...I have to pull a 1:48 or better. So, hydration, that's always a big thing especially in the heat and humidity...there were 5 water stations for this 10 mile race which is really good, and they offered Isotonic drinks and water...i try to stay with the water as Heed is my go to drink, for this race I drank it pre race and just stuck with water in race. After the race was over there was plenty of water and drinks and a big cow, and its young lady helpers, giving away bread, Thanks to one of those helpers for the photo below.


I also did get to catch up with some friends from Penang, I was able to get one photo at least, thank you to Alex Ong for the photo.


Overall this was a really great experience, hopefully if we are still here in Malaysia at this time next year i will do this one again. I would call this one a success, although the friend element was lacking...it was still great. Thank you Adidas Malaysia, Thank you Sunway Pyramid Hotel/Resort, Thank you Firefly Airlines. Lastly Thank you Brooks, for allowing me the honor and pleasure of being a "Fanatic" and an ambassador for a great company that makes a great product!

No comments:

Post a Comment