Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Delta Eco night run 27/08/2012





So following a disappointing half marathon I was looking forward to a nice 8k to get my confidence up before the King of the Road 16.5K race this coming weekend. This Eco night race was perfect for a number of reasons...close to home, so i could run there, and run the race and run home, also Rox and Brenna could finally come see me run! This was also a chance to run with my I-run friend Chun How, i have not had a chance to run with him since I first arrived in Penang...Another night race and another race that begins at the Youth Park. This one however was a series of loops through the difficult uphill part of the botanical gardens, so not an easy run. From an event standpoint it was well done in my opinion, nice course, not very much road management, but traffic inside the gardens is null, and the road leading from the youth park to the gardens is not that crowded at night....oh yeah, did i mention it was a night race....it was a night race.  The loops were not fun from a technical standpoint (for me anyway). The management of the three laps could have been messy, but a good job was done insuring that everyone was accountable (I did hear afterwards that some people did try and cheat, but were turned back.) I found the last uphill though toughest, both mentally and physically, but managed it none the less. Finished the 4.82 miles in 39:42...good for somewhere in the top 50...maybe the top 30...This was a good race, from the standpoint that I can now track the consistency of my pacing for the shorter distances (10k and under). I am consistently under 8:20/mile...its not my 7:30/mile that I was doing in Florida, but the heat and humidity tends to reap havoc on pacing, so I am happy with where I am at...This event was the night before Merdeka day here in penang, This is the celebration of Malaysian Independence, so much like our 4th of July, its quite significant, I was proud to be a part of both the event and the celebration. Oh, i also won a lucky draw prize...i never win anything so that was very cool....
 
L-R: Me, Chun How Lee, Gan Hoay Woon, Chung Mei Ling




Chung Mei Ling & Me
Chung Mei Ling, Me, Cat Khoo


Chung Mei Ling, Kho Ko King, Wong Jin Ji, unknown,Gan Hoay Woon,
Chun How Lee, Bee Hong, Jenny Wong, Lim Ping Wooi, Me




Thuan Lin Goh, Me



 
 
 
I have begun to reflect a bit on my performance in the last few races...removing Australia as an anomaly (perfect conditions). I really do better in the 10k and under races. I have improved on my 1/2 marathon time, from a 2:30 at Singapore Sundown to a 2:15 at Larian Hijau...so hopefully I can get Penang Bridge down to a more respectable 1:45-1:48....I ma running more consistently at the shorter distances though. Just an observation.
 
Today I got stuck in the rain again...stupid rain!!

No comments:

Post a Comment