Monday, June 18, 2012

Durian and SCKL 1/2 Marathon


So its my normal Sunday, which is usually a long day, however with Standard Chartered Kuala Lumpur 1/2 Marathon this coming weekend, I figured might be best to skip it and do a long run Tuesday or Wednesday. With a group of the I-Run folks heading up to Balik Pulau to eat some durian fruit...i figured, why not...so an I-Run friend Ander Tan, picked me up and off we went on what was to be one heck of an adventure and that was before we even started on the durian...The roads are very small as we make our way up to this particular fruit stand and during the trip a few of the cars in front of us had difficulty with how steep the roads were so we often found ourselves waiting for others...during one particular pause in our adventure a very loud "BANG" startled us all, we were hit by a durian...I felt badly for Ander as his car seemed quite new, and although the damage did not seem major, i like a new car to stay new for as long as possible. Anyway after many uphill battles and one battle with a lorry on a single track road...we ended up in reverse. we finally made it to the fruit farm. Now the only thing i know about durian is that Andrew Zimmern from "Bizarre Foods" will not eat it, and the guy eats bugs on a regular basis...locally they are considered a delicacy, but most of the high rise residences will not allow them...because they smell terrible. I was not thinking it would go well, but I am always up for a challenge. Its really good, i mean that, really good....now the first bite takes a bit because the smell has an influence over the taste, its just a bit bitter and weird, after that thought its very sweet and tastes a good deal like cantaloupe. now there were two kinds, from what i could tell, that I tried, one i was told was very sweet and the other a bit more bitter...i found both kinds to be sweet, the first like i said like a melon, the one that was supposed to be bitter had an almost cocoa taste to it...the texture is like pudding, and there is a large nut inside the meat of the fruit that you have to eat around.

I acctually ate quite a few, it is very rich though and supposedly high in calories, so i cut myself off and continued to eat the Rambutan, which I love. Well i have had a bunch of firsts here in Malaysia...This is my first experience with durian and it was nice to be surrounded by good friends and the beauty of nature....i think having good friends around makes food taste better period! So I have battled the durian and for now i feel like I won. Thank you to all my friends for this experience, it will not be forgotten!


So to finalize this blog, this comming weekend i take off for KL for the Standard Cartered half marathon, again, i dont feel ready and this will be another glad to finish...not worried about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment