Monday, March 19, 2012

Racetime

So its another Monday, which means that its time to review the week. Monday was an off day following my first long run since my accident (8 miles on Sunday). I did do some light work in the pool, which means I was able to swim a few laps before Brenna became a Remora. So Tuesday was a normal 5K at 8:28/mile, still a good pace. I decided that with Wednesday being my cross train day, 1 hour on the stationary bike and some core work, I would start to up my regular mileage to 4 miles. Thursday was a 4 miler, at an 8:29/mile pace, so I am able to maintain consistency despite the addition of another mile, which is good. That leads to Friday, I decided with my first race on Sunday, and despite my desire to treat it as a "fun" run, i know me well enough to know that I wont, I took Friday off and decided to run with friends on Saturday, and then do the race Sunday, so I joined my friend Thuan and a colleague of his on their longer run, my plan was for a 4-5 mile run. I ended up doing 4.39 miles at a 8:31/mile, that was on the watch, I shut it down, got a breath and then did some speed work for another mile. So onto the Race. Merentas Desa Pulau Pinang, held in the Teluk Kumbar region of Penang.


It was touted as a cross country race, and looked to be just that with approximately a mile of the course on the beach, another 3/4 of a mile on trails, and the rest on the road. Well the beach run was tough and despite that, it was a blast. It was great to be in a race, it was awesome to feel that adrenaline rush before the finish line, and overall just a great time, especially since I got to share my first race with all of my I-Run and running friends who have stood by me since my accident. Thank you Mei ling for giving me a lift! Thank you Chun How, Karen Geh and Andrew for taking pictures, and all the other photographers. Thanks to Lin Jin Xiang for pushing me at the end! It was not my best race, based on timing and pace, but it did not have to be because it will always be a great memory for me. I also had a chance to wear my kilt towel I got a few years back in Edinburgh. Got some great pictures, and i have another Penang memory that I will carry with me.


w/ Thuan Lin Goh


Kilt Towel!



Brooks Fanatics in Penang
w/ Mei Ling and Choo Hooi Lim


No comments:

Post a Comment