Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Running adventure begins again! In Phuket, Thailand.



So it really began again where it all started, in Penang, however I have not been able to get on the road in Penang as of yet, some treadmill runs have been all thus far. We did head off to Phuket, Thailand on Sunday 05/02, I thought about taking this opportunity to run on the beach, although a bit more difficult than your average road training, the sand would make the wear and tear less. I hit the sand and did about a mile, the incline on the beach made it tough...so I figured I would see what was around to get some time on the road. I talked to the security guard in front of the hotel, and he suggested a route around this small pond just across from the hotel. It seemed little used by anyone but local motorcycle traffic, and it covered about 2 miles, perfect!! The start was pretty rough, and I am finding that i favor my left leg a bit to much, if I increase my speed, i even out better, but I cant handle it stamina wise (yet!). Now 5K (3.2 miles) in 30 minuets would have pissed me off before the accident...now I could not be happier. so the combination of a mile or so on the beach and another 2.3 on the road gave me my first non-treadmill run since the accident in July 2011. It was great!
The next day I figured if I felt good physically, I would try it again and see what happened. So i woke up and felt good. i decided to hit the same route, the soreness kicked in for the first mile or so and then decreased. I really felt bad on this run, not physically,let me explain. As I was approaching the end of my run I caught up to another runner, now the morning before i saw no one out, so it was un expected. We had also seen many Russian tourists, who, no offense, are not often socially friendly (that has been our experience) with strangers. so i just passed her...well she said something as i passed so i slowed up and asked her to repeat it, she asked which hotel I was in, I told her, then she asked where I was from, i told her, she asked about the route around the pond up ahead, i told her about the route, and at that time i was done...i felt bad not asking her some of the same questions, i did tell her to "have a good run"...feel like my running conversation etiquette needs some work. Ok so this run was faster 9:16 pace compared to 9:34, and a bit longer 3.4 miles compared to 3.2 miles. I figured I would be sore, I was, so I decided to get a massage before we flew back to penang this afternoon. That was awesome, i needed the deep work done and it was just the ticket. however sitting in a cramped twin prop aeroplane seat for an hour after that, not the ticket! I am sitting here now, sore as hell, but happy, very happy. Loyal reader I appreciate you hanging in there...Run Happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment