Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Blessings and Curses.

Well I got my race kit for what I was hoping was going to be my fastest 1/2 marathon yet, The Penang Bridge Marathon (half marathon for me) This was a race I was so excited about, it is an international race and seems to be the premier race here in Penang! I had one 1/2 under my belt and it was within like the first year that i started running, and I did that one in 1:48...so I was really looking at like a 1:40, maybe even a 1:35...So I got with the Hanson's training programs, got Luke, who is supposed to be the best and was just about to begin the training when the accident happened...That day was both a blessing and a curse...I got to spend time with friends which was a blessing, but this soon to be 6 month ordeal has been nothing but a curse. Here is why...I figured, well 3 months of healing and then another 3 months of rehab and by January or February I will be ready to go...not so fast big guy!! As it turns out the 6 months will be healing only, i found out yesterday at my most recent doctor visit, that I can now walk (blessing) but there does not seem to be new bone around the fracture site, so I now have till the end of January before I can do any weight bearing exercises (Curse...curse curse curse!!). I really am having trouble with all of this delay...I mean your average fracture should take 6-8 weeks to heal, then another 6-8 weeks of rehab, so why 6 months for this...Maybe its the fact that I am a runner so I will be putting this joint through much more trauma than the usual person...not sure but I am really trying to practice patience...it sucks!!
So I figure with continued work in the gym, and a good training regimen now, I should be able to get back to form by March or April...its the cardio that concerns me, i have not run now since July, and although i have been on the stationary bike (40-45 min) It just not the same. Every little bit will help though, i just have to focus on not overdoing it now that I know I am allowed to walk. I need to stay consistent and pray that there are no further setbacks...looks like the Penang Bridge will have to be a goal for next year, and  Great Wall Marathon will have to wait, as well....Run Happy loyal reader!!

No comments:

Post a Comment