Friday, October 25, 2013

Brooks KRI annual run 2013, Ipoh Malaysia



As our time here in malaysia winds down I am finding myself doing "lasts", not "firsts". The KRI annual run was a first for me in 2012. It was a fun race and there were a lot of the I-run group there from Penang. This years race was a bit different, there was less of the I-run group but because of that I got a chance to talk to some of the group I have not gotten to know that well. This event was held at "The Haven" an really nice eco resort in Ipoh, Malaysia, the surrounding area is also very picturesque and one of the lesser developed areas of Malaysia, so there are still traditional buildings and architecture, spectacular scenery. The route seemed well planned, a fairly direct "out and back" with some challenging elevation (placed at the end of the route, NICE!) however there were turn offs from the route and that is where some problems occurred. I personally saw a few runners "cut" at least two of the turn offs, BOOO! Now look, Im not a top finisher, never have been, never will be and lately I have been been really suffering with soreness and pain, so I don't care if your "deviation" gained you time, maybe it got you to the podium...Personally, I would rather start at the appropriate spot, run the given course and finish at the appropriate spot, and come in last, than "place" in a race knowing I cheated...thats just me though. I think, if you cheat, even if you don't realize you did (yeah...right) have the honor and decency to bow out. Like my Hockey coach always said, "winners never cheat and cheaters never win"....unless you give out trophies to the top 10 finishers. So that brings me to another issue, I mean no offense, for this race as in others there were trophies given to the top 10 finishers in each age group, and there were at least 4 age groups for both men and women. Personally, I think if you get a finisher medal, and a T-shirt you should be happy to allow the top three finishers to be recognized with a larger prize, otherwise it really discounts winning, doesn't it? Part of competition is to work to be the best, If I were to get a trophy for coming in 10th, what would my goal be for my next race...5th?? I think when you recognize 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, you increase the competitive element of the race. Here is why I have that opinion, lets say I train well, run a good race and come in the top 15 overall, the race recognizes the top 3 finishers in each age group, but because of the competition i miss a top prize overall and in my age group, but barely....the next race I may work harder to hit that top spot. If the race does the top 10 spots in each division, I now come in 5th in my division, what is my incentive for the next race?? I got a trophy, so why train any harder?? I recall coming in 2nd place in a competitive event, and calling it "kissing your sister".... I have never found peace with the philosophy of "everyone wins", the all inclusive nature of competition...I think it makes us soft and takes away from the true spirit of the event. I always knew entering a race what the time would be to podium, 10K mid 30 min...1/2 marathon sub 1:20....I ran a 43:00 10k before leaving florida, was thrilled, and for that race, no medal, no trophy, just the joy of the run, I cam in 59th overall and 8th in my division (40-45). That was a sub 7 min mile pace and still not in the top 50....something to work for...oh yeah! Ok, despite all of that I have pride for those that did get trophies and ran well. I don't want it to seem like I am "sour grapes", I was no where need the top 20 in my division, much less the top 10. Now, at this stage, while I continue to deal with getting my right leg back to normal after my accident...I am happy that I can run, enjoy time with friends, and the scenery of some of the most beautiful places on the planet. Overall for me, this was a great race, i loved it and will sadly miss it when we return to the US. I would suggest to some of the organizers though, having been a part of the planning committee for some races back in the states, the most important element of your event, after the participants...no, i take that back, even before the participants are your volunteers, so maybe, forget giving out 80+ trophies, and bring in more marshals and race staff. I had a race director tell me once, "Volunteers are the most important cog in your event wheel, and you would always rather have too many than too few." Loyal reader, thanks for the support, RUN HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment