Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Running among the Flags...



Today I am the non political Florida runner...as I have always been, I have offerd the pictures in Black/White, and sepia tones, not as an insult to the Malaysian people. I did not want to have this post be about politics. I am a political retard, i don't understand how most politicians sleep at night, and how some people can say and do the things they do and still look at themselves in the mirror. Anyway, this is a blog about running and that is something that I have finally put aside pride and worry and just gone back to doing. I am getting used to running 9+ min miles, and accepting the fact that for me long distances in heat like this is not going to be pleasant. So, now to explain the title of my post...It was election time here in Malaysia, I have waited till the dust has settled and all has been decided before writing this blog as I did not want it to seem political (besides no one cares about my opinion on politics anyway). The political machine here seems less driven by TV advertisements talking about how the opponent sucks and more about "direct marketing"...There are hundreds if not thousands of flags of all shapes sizes and colors, placed on every square inch of space that can be found, there are blue flags, there are white flags, some have "balanced scales", some have "rockets". There are banners, there are posters and they are EVERYWHERE! It is fascinating, astounding and at times downright annoying. Especially when running on the road in traffic is not something I do often, as i feel like i have a target on my back...i actually had some big fat guy in a tiny car try to hit me on the sidewalk...really...and the motorbikes drive on the sidewalk as well...as a matter of fact the side-WALK seems to be for every activity but walking, but that is another blog post. Anyway, my point about the sidewalks is that for the most part, that is where the flags are. I was thankful to have the botanical garden and the Straits Quay neighborhood as a welcome respite from the influence of the flapping flags. As always our experience here offers something new...being here for this election and political process has offered those experiences  As a political dullard though...i will always remember the flags and the feeling of them caressing my sweaty legs as i waited on the corner for the traffic to pass...it was like a polyester hug, and who cant appreciate a hug...Loyal reader, thanks for sticking with me, and as always, RUN HAPPY

No comments:

Post a Comment