Sunday, March 10, 2013

Brooks 1/2 Marathon Kuala Lumpur



1st Race of 2013, and it was crap...The race itself was excellent, well run, a really tough challenging course that included some hilly sections. plenty of water stations on the course. The only problem, if i could say there was one is that at the end, getting water...bit of a "cluster foxtrot"...and the medal and t-shirt collection, also confusing...i ended up on the 1/2 marathon line and luckily heard the announcement for the 10k "trophy" collection. Allow me to explain for a moment the reason "trophy is in quotes. Instead of medals the organizers gave out a mini trophy to all the participants, Gold for the 1/2 marathon and silver for the 10k...nice change of pace. This is usually the time in the blog when i talk about my performance...I am choosing not to for this race...I ran a 10k in 54:09, which is a 9:00+ per mile race, I was 138th in the men's division and 158th overall out of almost 4000 runners...which is in a word, TERRIBLE!.


Admittedly I was hurting and under trained  but I have not run a 10k that slowly since i started running... I can use the heat as an excuse, it was 82*F at race time, it felt like 86 or 87 with the humidity. I wont though...I am just not running well right now. I need to get my motivation back and get a routine with my strength training...enough making excuses though...This was a race that was more about connecting with the base of friends i have here in Penang. It was great to see everyone, and as usual there were many of the I-run members that did very well. Now as I look ahead to the Great Wall marathon (1/2 marathon), I am really concerned...Anyway...good times and although I did not run well I did run happy. Loyal reader, There is cool stuff coming up, including the possibility of running the Hunter Valley NSW Australia 1/2 marathon again...Run Happy!




No comments:

Post a Comment